For those over the age of 18 the criteria include:
Those who have bilateral, pre, peri or postlinguistic sensorineural hearing impairment.
Those with a moderate to profound hearing loss in the low frequencies and profound (≥90 dB HL) hearing loss in the mid to high speech frequencies. Also, the candidate must obtain limited benefit from appropriate hearing aids. Limited benefit from amplification is defined by test scores of 50% correct or less in the ear to be implanted (60% or less in the best-aided listening condition) on recorded tests of open set sentence recognition.
Step by Step : Cochlear Implantation
STEP-1 Consultation with a team of Hearing Implantalogist, Audiologist and Speech and language Pathologist
STEP-2 Audiological and Speech and language Evaluation
· Pure Tone Audiometry
· Oto acoustic emissions
· Brainstem Evoked Auditory Responses
· Promontory test, EABR
· Speech and language assessment to measure the candidates language aptitude
· Trial with hearing aids
STEP-3 Medical and Radiological examinations
· Various medical examinations to check the patient’s general state of health
· CT scan and an MRI of the inner ear
STEP-4 Patient Education Program
We believe in through education of the candidate and the family on all the implantable device options, procedure for the surgery, risk and advantages involved, and what to expect after surgery.
STEP-5 Surgery, Activation & Fitting
· Surgery procedures that is least invasive with best outcomes are chosen and success of the surgery is documented .
· Post 3-2 weeks of the surgery, professionals activate the sound processor to an optimal level.
STEP-6 Aural Rehabilitation and optimization of sound
A team of Audiologist, auditory verbal therapist and speech therapist works with the recipient and the family to help develop listening and speaking skills, to monitor their progress and optimize the maps frequently.
Highlights of our program
· Structured Candidacy evaluation for pre/post lingual hearing impairment.
· Focussed Counselling on Adult surgical procedure, Outcomes, Care and Maintenance.
· Post surgical aural rehabilitation for Adults