For individuals aged 18 years and above, moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss, with less than or equal to 50% sentence recognition who receive little to no benefit from hearing aids can be considered. Consideration of CI in children requires a more multidisciplinary approach. Children aged 12 months and above with severe to profound hearing loss, showing no auditory development even after 3 to 6 months of hearing aid use can be referred for a cochlear implant. Older children who have not been identified early, or with long standing hearing loss with limited benefit from hearing aids can also be considered for cochlear implants, but realistic goals and expectations need to be discussed with parents prior to the surgery.
Step by Step : Cochlear Implantation
STEP-1 Consultation with a team of Hearing Implantalogist, Audiologist and Speech and language Pathologist
STEP-2 Audiological and Speech and language Evaluation
· Pure Tone Audiometry
· Oto acoustic emissions
· Brainstem Evoked Auditory Responses
· Promontory test, EABR
· Speech and language assessment to measure the candidates language aptitude
· Trial with hearing aids
STEP-3 Medical and Radiological examinations
· Various medical examinations to check the patient’s general state of health
· CT scan and an MRI of the inner ear
STEP-4 Patient Education Program
We believe in through education of the candidate and the family on all the implantable device options, procedure for the surgery, risk and advantages involved, and what to expect after surgery.
STEP-5 Surgery, Activation & Fitting
· Surgery procedures that is least invasive with best outcomes are chosen and success of the surgery is documented .
· Post 3-2 weeks of the surgery, professionals activate the sound processor to an optimal level.
STEP-6 Aural Rehabilitation and optimization of sound
A team of Audiologist, auditory verbal therapist and speech therapist works with the recipient and the family to help develop listening and speaking skills, to monitor their progress and optimize the maps frequently.
Highlights of our program
· Structured Candidacy evaluation for pre/post lingual hearing impairment.
· Focussed Counselling on Adult surgical procedure, Outcomes, Care and Maintenance.
· Post surgical aural rehabilitation for Adults
Click on the ADIP Scheme to know more about it.